Homepage 'de Luikerwaal' Magic Lanterns, supplied by
 W. Butcher & Sons part 1
 
The English supplier of magic lanterns and slides W. Butcher & Son was established at Blackheath, London, in 1866. By 1895 the firm was advertising using the 'Primus' trademark. Much of their extensive range was probably bought in from Germany and sold under their own name. In 1902 W.Butcher & Son became W. Butcher & Sons; from 1913 W. Butcher & Sons Ltd. Butcher produced also the well known Junior Lecturers Series using the 'Primus' trademark.
 
  magic lantern Butcher large
 
A splendid vintage magic lantern manufactured around 1890. It is constructed of brass and Russian iron and has a magnificent brass lens and a rare brass roof and chimney. The chimney has a crinkle-top, allowing heat to be released while preventing excessive light spillage.
slide carrier for magic lantern
Inserted is a heavy slide carrier capable of holding two glass slides measuring 3 1/4" x 3 1/4" (8.2 x 8.2 cm).
 
tin and brass magic lantern
 
Another large tin and brass magic lantern supplied by Butcher c. 1900.


This lantern is very similar to the one above.
 


Gorgeous lantern by W. Butcher and Son made of mahogany, brass and metal plate. The name of the manufacturer is engraved in the brass plate on the front to which the projection lens is attached.
 
magic lantern Boys Own magazine
 
An interesting "Boys Own" magic lantern, with a tin body, painted dark green. Brass lens assembly. Sizes 16" long, 5.5" wide and 10.5" high (41 x 14 x 27 cm).
This magic lantern was brought out in the early years of the 20th century by the popular English youth magazine 'Boy's Own Paper' in three slightly different models and was supplied by Butcher and Sons.


 
This British magic lantern/enlarger was made around 1915. A small circular metal shield with the trade mark is attached to the wood on the front of the lantern (WB Sons Ltd). The lantern is made of oak with a black metal chimney and body. Adjustment knobs and hinges are made of brass. It measures 21” high, 12” wide, 19” long (53.5 x 30.5 x 48 cm); with the billows fully extended the length is 26” (66 cm). The lamp house and chimney portion slides back and forth in the wood frame grooves. The removable wooden slide tray holds 3” x 4” (8,2 x 10 cm) slides. It is adjustable for height and positioning.


 
Primus magic lantern gas Butcher

     

Vintage boxed Primus gas magic lantern.
Two little shields on this lantern. The one on the front of the chimney showing the text 'PRIMUS GAS LANTERN REGISTERED' and another front of the wooden lens holder saying  'PRIMUS GAS LANTERN REGd No. 262061.'
folding magic lantern Primus Butcher magic lantern Butcher Primus folding
This 'Primus' folding magic lantern was manufactured circa 1890 by W. Butcher & Sons. The brass lens on this magic lantern is detachable by sliding off rails. The base that it fits on can then be folded into the body and secured for easy transportation by the leather carrying handle. When folded the lantern measures approx 8“ x 8.5” x 5.25” deep (20.5 x 21.5 x 13.5 cm). When the lens is attached the lantern measures 16.75“ (42.5 cm) long and when lens is fully extended the lantern measures approx 22.5” (57 cm) long. The lantern has a name plate which reads ‘Primus’ Folding Lantern Patent 18579'.
 
magic lantern Aldis Butcher transportable
Aldis Butcher Projection Lantern circa 1915.

Obviously Bucher liked to make his magic lantern easily transportable. This rather different black metal lantern was made by W. Butcher and Sons Ltd, Camera House, London, EC4. between 1910 and 1920. It measures about 16" long, 6" wide and 9" high (40.5 x 15 x 23 cm), not including the removable projection lens or the original wooden slide changer. Lens and other protruding parts could be stored in the box-like body.
trade mark W. Butcher


More Butcher lanterns....
 
  Nederlandse versie......  What's new on this site?  ©1997-2018 'de Luikerwaal'
All rights reserved.
Last update: 30-11-2018.
Top of page......  Next page.....